Life – An Exalted Destiny – Aga Khan III
Arabic Universal Language of the Muslim World
Speech by the late H. H. Sir Sultan Mahomed Shah Aga Khan III at a session of Motamer al-Alam-al-Islamiyya
February 9, 1951
I can assure you that it is not with a light heart that I address you this evening. I fully realise that what I am going to say will make me most unpopular with important sections of the population. However, I would be a traitor to Islam if I let this opportunity pass without placing before the people of this powerful and populous Islamic nation the views which I consider my duty to place before the Muslims with as many of the arguments as I am capable of using in a short address. I fear… Continue reading
Beyond Polemics and Pluralism: The Universal Message of the Qur’an
— Reza Shah-Kazemi
Editor’s Note: It was a delight to hear Dr. Shah-Kazemi’s lecture on the subject in person yesterday. Please view my picture with him below! Yay! My sincere thanks to Dr. Shah-Kazemi for providing this article and I am honored to present it on the Ismaili Web. Alhamduli’Llah! Please also view video of this presentation made in June 2014 at the end of this article and I just added his presentation at FIU on March 31, 2015. Thank you!
And they say: None entereth Paradise unless he be a Jew or a Christian. These are their vain desires. Say: Bring your proof if ye are truthful.
Nay, but whosoever submitteth his purpose to God, and he is… Continue reading
Moments with Shams – Words of Wisdom from Rumi’s Teacher
— Selections from the Maqalat of Shams-i Tabriz, Translated and edited by Refik Algan and Camille Helminski
Intensifying One’s Search
One’s longing, one’s search for the beneficence of God, must be so strong and intense that like the longing of Moses it allows no obstacle to stand in the way. When the Prophet Moses asked: “Who is more knowledgeable in the universe than I am?” his friend Joshua answered: “There is one person more knowledgeable than you are.” Moses didn’t get angry, he didn’t get offended; he didn’t say, “What kind of a thing to say is that!” But instead, “Oh, what was it you said?” he asked for information, because he was searching. Joshua was also a prophet, but… Continue reading
The Holy Qur’an in the Ginanic Literature – An Initial Exploration
By Rashida Noormohamed-Hunzai
This paper seeks to demonstrate the underlying teachings of the holy Qur’an in the Ginanic Literature, therefore it is essential, first of all to describe the nature of the Qur’an, as well as that of the Ginans in order to understand better the relationship between them.
The holy Qur’an is the Divine revelation to the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s.) and unites the entire Muslim ummah. In its own words in Surah 26, verses 192 to 195:
“It is a revelation of the Lord of the worlds, which the True Spirit has brought down upon your (i.e. Prophet Muhammad’s) heart that you may be of the warners in plain Arabic speech.” — Quran 26:192-195
We further learn from… Continue reading
Prophet Muhammad Birthday Milad un Nabi — Mevlût
By Annemarie Schimmel
In the Turkish tradition, the best-known early mevlût was written by Süleyman Chelebi of Bursa around 1400. But more than a century earlier, Yunus Emre had already promised heavenly reward to those who recite mevlût, which shows — provided the verses are genuine — that mevlûts were popular among the Turks at a rather early stage. Süleyman Chelebi’s poem is written in rhyming couplets, a literary from adopted from the Persian. Its rhythm is simple; the meter is the same as that used primarily in Persian mystical and didactic epics such as ‘Attar’s Mantiq ut-tair and Rumi’s Mathnawi. The language is plain, almost childlike, and therefore the poem has not lost anything of its charm even today. (But even this poem was considered… Continue reading
On the Meaning of Music in Persian Mysticism
THE ISMAILI SOCIETY
ISMAILI TEXTS AND TRANSLATIONS SERIES, NO. 4
RECOGNITION OF THE IMAM
(Fasl dar Bayan-I Shinakht-i Imam)
Translated from Persian by
TABLE OF THE CONTENTS OF THE TEXT
1. The manifestation of the Imam and his Hujjat……1v.-2v.
2. The necessity of the propaganda (da’wat) in the time when the Imam is
hidden ….. 2v.-3
3. The fourfold knowledge about the Imam …..3-3v.
4. The Hujjat’s and da’i’s knowledge of the Imam …..3v.-4
5. The relations between the Imam and the Hujjat …..4-4v.
6. The manifestation of the Imam is essential to the existence of the world
7. Definition of the degree of the Hujjat …..6-6v.
8. The logical proofs of the necessity of the Hujjat …..6v.
9. The traditional proofs… Continue reading
Nasir-i Khusraw Poetry
Nasir Khusraw is acknowledged as one of the foremost poets of the Persian language. Born in the Balkh district of Central Asia in 394/1004, Nasir was inspired from an early age by a tremendous thirst for knowledge. His intellectual abilities brought him much fame, a promising career in government service, and a life of ease and pleasure. But he was always dissatisfied by a lack of meaning and purpose in his life until one day, at the age of 42, he was dramatically transformed by a visionary dream. He converted to Ismailism, renounced his worldly life and embarked on his famous seven-year journey to Egypt. Nasir arrived in Cairo in 439/1047, where he stayed for three years and became acquainted with Ismaili dignitaries such as Al… Continue reading
“O moon-faced Beloved,
the month of Ramadan has arrived.
Cover the table
and open the path of praise.”
“The month of fasting has come,… Continue reading
Navroz Mubarak! Eid Mubarak! Eid-e Shoma Mobarak!
Sultan Newruz – Imam Hazrat Ali’s Solar Birthday Anniversary! Norouz Nawruz Norooz – New Year Blessings! March 21, 2013
|Shah Abbas I receiving Vali Muhammad Khan of Bukhara, Chehel Sotun, Isfahan (c.1657)|
|What||A cross-cultural celebration of the New Year, the first day of the Spring astrological Equinox, solar birthday anniversary of our Imam Ali hence the name Nevruz Sultan, in Turkey Nauruz-i Sultani. “It was on Navroz that Adam was created, that God made a covenant with the souls, that Abraham destroyed the pagan idols, that the Prophet of Islam received first revelation, that the Prophet took Ali on his shoulders to smash 360 idols in Mecca, and… Continue reading|
- Yaum-e Ali — Imam Hazrat Ali’s Birthday Anniversary
- Aga Khan Mowlana Hazar Imam’s 79th Birthday Salgirah 2015
- New Moon on Friday – Shukarwari Beej
- His Highness the Aga Khan Speech at the International New York Times Athens Democracy Forum
- Eid ul Fitr — July 2015
- Imamat Day July 11, 2015 – 58 Years! Mashallah!
- Layla tul Qadr — Islam’s Birthday Anniversary
- Ramadan Kareem Mubarak!
- His Highness the Aga Khan Speech at the Aga Khan Park, Toronto
- Miraj Articles
- Arabic Universal Language of the Muslim World — Aga Khan III
- Speech by His Highness the Aga Khan — Inauguration of Amir AqSunqur Mosque in Cairo
- Yaum-e Ali — Imam Hazrat Ali’s Birthday Anniversary
- Imam Ali Bin Abu Talib — 1st Imam
- Imam Ali and the Power of Compassion — Dr. Reza Shah-Kazemi
- Imam Hazrat Ali the Great!
- The Imams, The Holy!
- The Peterson Lecture by His Highness the Aga Khan to the IB 40th Annual Meeting
- Aga Khan Speech at Foundation Ceremony Museum at Humayun’s Tomb
- Beyond Polemics and Pluralism: The Universal Message of the Qur’an — Reza Shah-Kazemi