Life – An Exalted Destiny – Aga Khan III
Toronto, 25 November 2013 — The University of Toronto’s Trinity College held a special convocation this evening, to bestow upon Mawlana Hazar Imam the degree of Doctor of Sacred Letters, honoris causa.
In a glowing citation, the Right Honorable Adrienne Clarkson, an alumna and Honorary Fellow of the College, presented Mawlana Hazar Imam before the Honourable William C. Graham, Chancellor of Trinity College, and the convocation.
“We are welcoming you into a place that combines the sacred with the secular with educational values that have seen its graduates take their place in the modern world and in Canada in a meaningful and committed fashion,” said Madame Clarkson in her address.… Continue reading
It is my great honor and pleasure to present, on his birthday anniversary which falls on November 2nd, the gems from our beloved 48th Imam Mowlana Sultan Mahomed Shah Aga Khan III, a collage of his wonderful words of wisdom. His life has been a great legacy for humanity.
Here are Mowlana Hazar Imam’s words for him:
“Many many memories come to our minds as we think of him. He achieved in his life, for our community, that which could only have been accomplished normally in a period of many generations. The tributes that the world has paid him bear honest testimony to his great life and work.”
- His Highness the Aga Khan, Takht Nashini, Karachi, January 23, 1958
- Greetings to Pakistan
- Quaid-e-Azam… Continue reading
- Eid ul-Fitr Ramadan Kareem – Eid Mubarak!
- Eid-e Ghadir – Declaration at Gadhir e Khumm
- Nowruz Persian New Year – Eid Mubarak!
Eid Greeting Cards to share with family and friends – right click on image to save to your computer!
Muslim Holidays and Celebrations
- Ramadan Poetry by Rumi
- Layla tul Qadr The Night of Power
- I am the City of Knowledge and Ali is its Gate – Prophet Muhammad
- Imam Hazrat Ali and the Quran by Reza Shah Kazemi
- Selected Suras of the Quran
- Sayings of Prophet Muhammad attributed to Imam Hazrat Ali
- Dam Hama Dam Ali Ali Farsi Qasida
- Prophet Muhammad Appoints Imam Ali as His Successor Eid-e Gadhir
- Hafiz… Continue reading
Imamat Speeches, Interviews and Writing featured at Nanowisdoms. Please also visit the theme lists with the Extended and Short Quotes at bottom of this list.
- NDTV ‘Walk the Talk’ Interview, Shekhar Gupta (Hyderabad, India) ·· (5 October 2013)
- Jamati Institutional Leaders Dinner (Mumbai, India) ·· (28 September 2013
- Times of India Interview, Ranjan Roy, ‘Civil society has to be driven by competence as well as ethics: Aga Khan’ (Hyderabad, India) ·· (29 September 2013)
- Aga Khan Academy, Hyderabad, Inaugural Ceremony (Hyderabad, India) ·· (20 September 2013)
- Inauguration Ceremony for the Restoration of Humayun’s Tomb (Delhi, India) ·· (18 September 2013)
- 2013 Aga Khan Award for Architecture Prize Ceremony (Lisbon, Portugal) ·· (6 September 2013)
This is an edited version of extracts from speeches delivered by Dr Reza Shah-Kazemi at Milad al-Nabi Celebrations held in Atlanta and San Francisco, USA, in 2007. It first appeared in The Ismaili, USA, 2008.
In the 9th year after the Hijra (631 CE), a prominent Christian delegation from Najran, an important centre of Christianity in the Yemen, came to engage Prophet Muhammad in theological debate in Medina. The main point of contention was the nature of Christ: was he one of the messengers of God or the unique Son of God? What is of importance for our purposes is not the disagreements voiced, nor the fact that the debate was cut short by a revelation instructing the Prophet to challenge the Christians to a mutual imprecation, the mubahala; rather,… Continue reading
They are not all alike. Of the People of the Scripture there is a staunch community who recite the revelations of God in the watches of the night, falling prostrate.
They believe in God and the Last Day, and enjoin right conduct and forbid indecency, and vie with one another in good works. These are of the righteous.
And whatever good they do, they will not be denied it; and God knows the pious. (Quran 3: 113-114)
Thou wilt find the nearest of them [the People of the Scripture] in affection to those who believe to be those who say: Verily, we are Christians. That is because there are among them priests and monks, and they are not proud. (5: 82)
I believe in whatever scripture God hath revealed, and… Continue reading
Layla tul Qadr falls on the 23rd of Ramadan and this is a significant event in Muslim history as not only did Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) receive his first revelation that culminated in the Holy Quran, but this day marks the anniversary of his Prophethood on earth. Muslims all over the world spend this night in prayers as it holds special Barakah for those in prayer.
“In the name of God, the Beneficent the Merciful
“Indeed We sent it [the Holy Quran] down on the Night of Power. What will convey to you what the Night of Power is? Better is the Night of Power than a thousand months. In that Night the angels and the Spirit descend by the permission of their Lord for every errand. Peace it… Continue reading
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’un
إِنَّا لِلّهِ وَإِنَّـا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعونَ
Full Verse Quran 2:156:
الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا اليه راجعون
“Who, when a misfortune overtakes them, say: ‘Surely we belong to Allah and to Him shall we return’.”
This phrase is recited upon hearing the news of someone’s death or when struck by a calamity of any kind. It is translated as “Verily we belong to God, and to God we return.”
Tajdin Abdullah Allarakhia, age 96, my dad, passed away on July 11, 2013. My father who was born in Zanzibar, passed peacefully in his sleep in Los Angeles on July 11, 2013, at age 96. He was a self taught man, who gave his Cambridge exams… Continue reading
Ali is the Lord of those whose Lord I am!
The first Imam Hazrat Ali was appointed as as his successor by Prophet Muhammad at Ghadir e Khumm when he declared: He of whomever I am the Master, Lord – Mowla, Ali is his Master, Lord – Mowla! Imam Ali plays a pivotal role in the spiritual lives of his followers as do his successors and we are blessed to be led by the 49th Imam! Alhamdulillah!
“Man Kunto Mowla”, a part of a famous statement of the Seal of Prophet, upon him be peace, which is, “Man kunto Mowla, fa Ali-yun Mowla” – meaning ‘Whoever accepts me as master, Ali is his master’.
Amir Khusru is one of the iconic figures in the cultural history… Continue reading
“O moon-faced Beloved,
the month of Ramadan has arrived.
Cover the table
and open the path of praise.”
“The month of fasting has come,… Continue reading
Defining Without Confining:
Reflections on a prophetic usage of sacred space.
In this article I intend to show that, in traditional Islamic consciousness, to define the space of the sacred (the mosque, the qibla, etc.) does not confine the sacred (wherever ye turn there is the face of God), and thus that the space of the sacred cannot be subject to what we might call ‘religious nationalism’. The sacred is both transcendent and immanent, combining both poles of tanzīh (incomparability), and tashbīh (similarity). At the heart of the sacred lies the paradox that its divine essence is absolutely unknowable; but there is nothing that does not, in its own way, manifest the sacred.
In the first part, I will show… Continue reading
Prophet Muhammad Collection on the Ismaili Web
As the Ismaili Web has grown during the past fourteen years, the material I have gathered on our beloved Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) has been spread over many pages. I decided to create this page to portray all the files in one place for Milad Day. Hope this is useful. “And We have not sent you except as a mercy to mankind” – Sura Al-Anbiyah 21:107
“Verily Allah sends blessings upon the prophet, and his angels ask Allah to bless him. Oh you who have believed ask Allah to send blessings upon him and greet him with peace” – Sura Al-Ahzab 33:56
Miraj – Spiritual or Corporeal
By Mumtaz Ali Tajddin S. Ali
The word miraj is derived from uruj means to ascend. The Koran (70:4) says, “To Him ascend the angels and soul” (taruljul malaikatu war’ruhi ilaihi), and in 97:4: “Angels and soul (from Him) descend (tanz’zalul malaikatu wa’ruhi), and also in 70:3: “Lord of the ways of ascent” (minal’lahi zil ma’arij).
The miraj refers to the heavenly ascension of the Prophet. The Koran says, “Glory be to Him Who made His servant to go on a night from the sacred mosque to the remote mosque of which We have blessed the precincts, so that We may show to him some of Our signs” (17:1).
The commentators write that… Continue reading
- Aga Khan Receives Doctor of Sacred Letters Degree from Trinity College University of Toronto
- Message to the World of Islam – Aga Khan III
- Eid Mubarak!
- Aga Khan Speeches, Interviews and Writing from Nanowisdoms – Part 2
- Pluralism and the Qur’an – Reza Shah-Kazemi
- Universality of the Quranic Message – Reza Shah-Kazemi
- Layla tul Qadr – The Night of Power and Destiny
- Layla tul Qadr – The Night of Power
- Philosophical Significance of the Imam in Ismailism
- Tajdin Abdullah Allarakhia, in Memory
- Imamat Day July 11, 2013 – Mashallah! 56 Years!
- Ali is the Lord of those whose Lord I am! – Man Kunto Mowla
- Ramadan and Eid ul Fitr
- Reza Shah-Kazemi – Defining Without Confining
- Prophet Muhammad | Ismaili Web Amaana
- Miraj wa Isra – Ascension and Night Journey of Prophet Muhammad
- Love for Imam Ali in the Quran and Sunnah
- Importance of Imam Ali for All Muslims – Reza Shah Kazemi
- Imam Hazrat Ali | Ismaili Web Amaana
- Sayings of Imam Hazrat Ali