Life – An Exalted Destiny – Aga Khan III
The Mystical Visions of Ibn al-‘Arabî (d. 1240)
– Dr. Diana Steigerwald
California State University (Long Beach)
“Whatever may be the philosophical doctrine to which we adhere, we observe, as soon as we speculate on the origin and the cause, the anteriority and the presence of the Feminine.”
– Excerpt from the Fusûs al-hikam of Ibn al-‘Arabî
The 13th century, even though politically overshadowed by the invasion of the Mongols and the end of the ‘Abbâsid caliphate, was also the golden age of Sufism. Known as Shaykh al-Akbar (the Greatest Shaykh), Muhyî al-Dîn Ibn al-‘Arabî was one of the most famous representatives of esoteric mysticism at the beginning of the 13th century. He was born in Murcia (city in Spain) in 1165 and at the age… Continue reading
Understanding the Quran
— Diana Steigerwald
California State University (Long Beach)
‘I believe in one God, and Muhammad, an Apostle of God’ is the simple and invariable profession of Islām. The intellectual image of the Deity has never been degraded by any visible idol; the honor of the Prophet has never transgressed the measure of human virtues; and his living precepts have restrained the gratitude of his disciples within the bounds of reason and religion. (Gibbon and al., 54)
There will come a time when nothing will remain of the Qur’ān but a set of rituals. And nothing will be more common than attributing falsities to God and the Prophet. — ‛Alī Ibn Abī Tālib
The Qur’ān contains a powerful message which generates a material and spiritual response. From its original… Continue reading
The Tolerance of the Fâtimids toward “The People of the Book” (Ahl Al-Kitâb)
By Diana Steigerwald
“The first principle is to comprehend, to be convinced of, to uphold the fact
that there is no conflict between Islam and Christianity. There may be
conflict on political issues, there may be conflict on economic issues, there
may be conflict on social issues but the faith of Islam is not in conflict with
the faith of Christianity and that is so clearly specified in Islam and all I need
to do this morning is to mention the words to you Ahl al-Kitâb, the People of
Book. The Book is Allah’s revelation to man, revealed to man through
Allâh’s Prophets of which Prophet Muhammad was the last Prophet.” (Karîm
Âghâ Khân… Continue reading
The following is the first chapter from Dr. Diana Steigerwald’s wonderful book Diversity in Islamic History. It is her wish to provide a free copy to each and every person in the world so that they would understand Islam and its history and so make educated opinions of what Islam really is.
The PDF version of the chapters has now been made available for download for free. All I ask in return is if you can please log your vote of thanks and comments at the bottom of this article to let Diana know in your own words, what you think about this chapter and also the rest of her book.
– Nina Jaffer, Editor and Publisher, The Ismaili Web Amaana.org
Dr. Steigerwald is an expert… Continue reading
- Aga Khan Mowlana Hazar Imam’s 79th Birthday Salgirah 2015
- New Moon on Friday – Shukarwari Beej
- His Highness the Aga Khan Speech at the International New York Times Athens Democracy Forum
- Eid ul Fitr — July 2015
- Imamat Day July 11, 2015 – 58 Years! Mashallah!
- Layla tul Qadr — Islam’s Birthday Anniversary
- Ramadan Kareem Mubarak!
- His Highness the Aga Khan Speech at the Aga Khan Park, Toronto
- Miraj Articles
- Arabic Universal Language of the Muslim World — Aga Khan III
- Speech by His Highness the Aga Khan — Inauguration of Amir AqSunqur Mosque in Cairo
- Yaum-e Ali — Imam Hazrat Ali’s Birthday Anniversary
- Imam Ali Bin Abu Talib — 1st Imam
- Imam Ali and the Power of Compassion — Dr. Reza Shah-Kazemi
- Imam Hazrat Ali the Great!
- The Imams, The Holy!
- The Peterson Lecture by His Highness the Aga Khan to the IB 40th Annual Meeting
- Aga Khan Speech at Foundation Ceremony Museum at Humayun’s Tomb
- Beyond Polemics and Pluralism: The Universal Message of the Qur’an — Reza Shah-Kazemi
- The Middle East — Prince Aly Khan