Life – An Exalted Destiny – Aga Khan III
Imam Hazrat Ali from “An Introduction to Shi’i Islam” by Moojan Momen
Born inside the Holy Kaaba in Mecca on Friday the 13th Rajab, 30 Amulfeel, (year of the Elephant) 11th October 599 A.D. His father was Hazrat Abu Talib, his mother was Bibi Fatima Binte Asad, his wife was Bibi Fatima Binte Muhammad az-Zahra (SA) and he was the father of Imam Hassan (AS), Imam Hussein (AS), Bibi Zaynab (AS), Bibi Kulthum (AS) and Hazrat Muhsin(AS).
As we all know, Hazrat Ali (a.s.) was the first male Muslim convert (Hazrat Khatija being the first female believer) and he took up the responsibility to propagate the Holy Message delivered to our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s.) at a tender age. He was only twelve when Prophet Muhammad asked who would come to… Continue reading
Beyond Polemics and Pluralism: The Universal Message of the Qur’an
— Reza Shah-Kazemi
Editor’s Note: It was a delight to hear Dr. Shah-Kazemi’s lecture on the subject in person yesterday. Please view my picture with him below! Yay! My sincere thanks to Dr. Shah-Kazemi for providing this article and I am honored to present it on the Ismaili Web. Alhamduli’Llah! Please also view video of this presentation made in June 2014 at the end of this article and I just added his presentation at FIU on March 31, 2015. Thank you!
And they say: None entereth Paradise unless he be a Jew or a Christian. These are their vain desires. Say: Bring your proof if ye are truthful.
Nay, but whosoever submitteth his purpose to God, and he is… Continue reading
Interview – The Forgotten Children of Abraham
by Katherine Schimmel Baki
Calligraphy above — Quran 16:125
ادْعُ إِلَىٰ سَبِيلِ رَبِّكَ بِالْحِكْمَةِ وَالْمَوْعِظَةِ الْحَسَنَةِ ۖ وَجَادِلْهُم بِالَّتِي هِيَ أَحْسَنُ
Invite (everyone) to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious.
Written in Naskh (green part) and Thuluth (black part) — by Nayzak — Amaana.org
“It is compulsory both in the West and the East to move beyond stereotypes and demonization, to educate the next generation to be global citizens who have a healthy respect for other cultures and religions.” — John L. Esposito
John L. Esposito
An ode for
By Nadim Pabani – Inspired by the Navroz Spring.
An ode for Imam-e-Zaman we sing.
Seeing the birds outside take flight,
Line by line we begin to write.
So now we wish to begin this rhyme,
For the Master of the Age and Time
To glorify your Light that shines,
We are moved to write each line.
But this Murid will try his very best,
To help others realise that you are the Light of the East and West,
You refrain from seeking worldly might,
Even though, this is your… Continue reading
THE ISMAILI SOCIETY
ISMAILI TEXTS AND TRANSLATIONS SERIES, NO. 4
RECOGNITION OF THE IMAM
(Fasl dar Bayan-I Shinakht-i Imam)
Translated from Persian by
TABLE OF THE CONTENTS OF THE TEXT
1. The manifestation of the Imam and his Hujjat……1v.-2v.
2. The necessity of the propaganda (da’wat) in the time when the Imam is
hidden ….. 2v.-3
3. The fourfold knowledge about the Imam …..3-3v.
4. The Hujjat’s and da’i’s knowledge of the Imam …..3v.-4
5. The relations between the Imam and the Hujjat …..4-4v.
6. The manifestation of the Imam is essential to the existence of the world
7. Definition of the degree of the Hujjat …..6-6v.
8. The logical proofs of the necessity of the Hujjat …..6v.
9. The traditional proofs… Continue reading
Understanding the Quran
— Diana Steigerwald
California State University (Long Beach)
‘I believe in one God, and Muhammad, an Apostle of God’ is the simple and invariable profession of Islām. The intellectual image of the Deity has never been degraded by any visible idol; the honor of the Prophet has never transgressed the measure of human virtues; and his living precepts have restrained the gratitude of his disciples within the bounds of reason and religion. (Gibbon and al., 54)
There will come a time when nothing will remain of the Qur’ān but a set of rituals. And nothing will be more common than attributing falsities to God and the Prophet. — ‛Alī Ibn Abī Tālib
The Qur’ān contains a powerful message which generates a material and spiritual response. From its original… Continue reading
Comparative Study of Religions
Chapter II Islam and its Divisions
1- The Sunna
2- The Shi’a
3- The Theology of Sunna and Shi’a
Chapter III Shi’a and its Sub divisions
Doctrine of Ismailism
Chapter I Potentiality and Actuality
Chapter II Existence in Power
Chapter III Existence in Action (by force)
Chapter IV Knowledge of Truth
Chapter V Implementation of faith by Action
1- Ta’at (Obedience)
2- Tabligh (Revelation)
3- Bai’at (Allegiance)
1- Amanat (Trust)
2_ Tawhid (Monotheism)
1- Unity of the Universe
2- The greatness of Man
3- The Human Brotherhood
4- Evolution… Continue reading
It is my great honor and pleasure to present, on his birthday anniversary which falls on November 2nd, the gems from our beloved 48th Imam Mowlana Sultan Mahomed Shah Aga Khan III, a collage of his wonderful words of wisdom. His life has been a great legacy for humanity.
Here are Mowlana Hazar Imam’s words for him:
“Many many memories come to our minds as we think of him. He achieved in his life, for our community, that which could only have been accomplished normally in a period of many generations. The tributes that the world has paid him bear honest testimony to his great life and work.”
– His Highness the Aga Khan, Takht Nashini, Karachi, January 23, 1958
- Greetings to Pakistan
- Quaid-e-Azam… Continue reading
They are not all alike. Of the People of the Scripture there is a staunch community who recite the revelations of God in the watches of the night, falling prostrate.
They believe in God and the Last Day, and enjoin right conduct and forbid indecency, and vie with one another in good works. These are of the righteous.
And whatever good they do, they will not be denied it; and God knows the pious. (Quran 3: 113-114)
Thou wilt find the nearest of them [the People of the Scripture] in affection to those who believe to be those who say: Verily, we are Christians. That is because there are among them priests and monks, and they are not proud. (5: 82)
I believe in whatever scripture God hath… Continue reading
- Aga Khan Mowlana Hazar Imam’s 79th Birthday Salgirah 2015
- New Moon on Friday – Shukarwari Beej
- His Highness the Aga Khan Speech at the International New York Times Athens Democracy Forum
- Eid ul Fitr — July 2015
- Imamat Day July 11, 2015 – 58 Years! Mashallah!
- Layla tul Qadr — Islam’s Birthday Anniversary
- Ramadan Kareem Mubarak!
- His Highness the Aga Khan Speech at the Aga Khan Park, Toronto
- Miraj Articles
- Arabic Universal Language of the Muslim World — Aga Khan III
- Speech by His Highness the Aga Khan — Inauguration of Amir AqSunqur Mosque in Cairo
- Yaum-e Ali — Imam Hazrat Ali’s Birthday Anniversary
- Imam Ali Bin Abu Talib — 1st Imam
- Imam Ali and the Power of Compassion — Dr. Reza Shah-Kazemi
- Imam Hazrat Ali the Great!
- The Imams, The Holy!
- The Peterson Lecture by His Highness the Aga Khan to the IB 40th Annual Meeting
- Aga Khan Speech at Foundation Ceremony Museum at Humayun’s Tomb
- Beyond Polemics and Pluralism: The Universal Message of the Qur’an — Reza Shah-Kazemi
- The Middle East — Prince Aly Khan